Right-of-Way Use | About Energy | Mississippi Power | A Southern Company

Right-of-Way Use


Mississippi Power has easement rights to the majority of its utility corridors; in fact, very few miles of transmission rights-of-way are company-owned. See answers to frequently asked questions.

Acceptable use vs. encroachment

Certain uses of Mississippi Power easements or property will not interfere with the transmission right-of-way as long as standards of use are observed. Agricultural, horticultural or grazing activities are authorized by the underlying property owner, but will be monitored by our crews. These uses do not require a written agreement except when they are proposed on property owned by the company in fee.

An encroachment of Mississippi Power's right-of-way is any use or activity within the transmission right-of-way that restricts (in any way) the full use or purpose for which the right-of-way was established.

Planting within an easement

Mississippi Power has determined specific trees and ornamentals acceptable for planting within the easement. In order to qualify for consideration, these trees must be planted in a landscaped area and must not exceed 10' feet upon maturity.

Use of easements

Mississippi Power will accommodate reasonable uses of our easements and fee property. Uses that interfere with, obstruct, restrict or endanger the use of our rights-of-way, fee property and transmission facilities will not be permitted in order to preserve our right to construct, replace, operate, maintain, reconstruct and access power and communication lines in a safe and timely manner.

Use by parties other than the property owner

These uses may be permitted under specified circumstances:

  • Sewer, water and gas lines
  • Electrical distribution lines
  • Telecommunications
  • Railroad spur tracks

Prohibited activities

The following are examples of uses that are not permissible:

  • Fueling or permanent storage of fuel facilities
  • Use as a runway for landing and takeoff of any aviation equipment
  • Swimming pools
  • Signboards exceeding 15 feet in height
  • Permanent structures of any kind ("Permanent" includes buildings too large to move on trailers, structures with poured foundations, structures with permanent piers, and structures larger than 12' x 12' x 12' from ground level. If temporary structures are allowed under this exception, proper clearances must be maintained at all times.)
  • Septic tanks
  • House trailers
  • Dumps, junkyards, garbage receptacles, recycling centers or solid waste burial
  • Outdoor lighting not owned/maintained by an electrical utility
  • Wells

The application process for an encroachment agreement to permit activity may be initiated by applying online.

Contact us with questions concerning the above activities and encroachments.