As part of our commitment to Kemper County, Mississippi Power has been heavily involved in the community. This includes investing in the future of Kemper County by setting up programs for schools and awarding more than 20 scholarships to students attending two-year and four-year programs.
- Developed the Kemper Education & Experience Program, KEEP, a two-year program to give Kemper County residents the opportunity to obtain a two-year degree.
- Assisted with sponsorship of the college preparatory program known as PACES for Kemper County high school students.
- Collaborated with Mississippi Department of Education to assess and enhance early childhood centers and was recognized by the West Kemper Kiddie Kollege for contributions to the preschool and being instrumental in getting the school included in the Mississippi Building Blocks project.
We have also worked hard in the community in leadership and economic development programs.
- Established the Kemper County Leadership Program and coordinated the program with other like leadership programs in Mississippi to create and enhance leaders who serve the community.
- Initiated and assisted with the opening of a temporary Workforce Investment Network Job Center in Kemper County.
Our presence has also resulted in charitable contributions to local organizations.
- In 2014, established the Kemper County energy facility chapter of our employee volunteer group, Community Connection. The chapter has elevated and dramatically enhanced the company's existing contributions that have been made to area non-profits since 2010.
- Critical programs supported through either donations made by our employees, initiatives taken by our employees or putting our employees' skills to work for the community include, but are not limited to, United Way of East Mississippi Stuff the Bus and Power of the Purse campaign; Kemper County Senior Center Outdoor Lighting Project; American Cancer Society Relay for Life; East Kemper Elementary School Cleanup and Salvation Army Angel Tree Adoption.