Electrical Fires | About Energy | Mississippi Power | A Southern Company

Electrical Fires

  • Combustibles - Keep area around electrical equipment clear of combustibles such as sawdust, paper, cardboard, and flammable liquids.
  • Escape - Know locations of emergency exits and fire escapes and know the escape routes from your work area. Fire escape plans should be posted and exits clearly marked.
  • Extinguishers - Know where the nearest fire extinguishers are and how to use them. Only Class C extinguishers are safe to use on energized electrical equipment.
  • Maintenance - Prevent oil and dirt buildup on electrical appliances. This situation can cause electrical equipment to overheat and short circuit. When buildup does occur, shut off electrical equipment and unplug its power supply. Use only clean dry rags and brushes and follow manufacturer's instructions.
  • Overloads - Electrical fires are frequently caused by overloaded equipment and circuits. This can cause insulation to burn, create sparks, and leave exposed wires. Don't overload electrical equipment by attempting to do heavier jobs than the equipment can handle.
  • Repair - Shut off all electrical equipment that produces odd sounds, odd smells or sparks. Have it checked by a qualified technician. Tag and remove hard wired equipment from service so that it cannot be accidentally energized while it is being repaired or replaced.

Safety tip

Stay away from downed lines. If you ever see a wire on the ground, assume it is energized. Report a downed wire to the power company, or call 911.